I know, I know: you’re looking for an epic story. But today I feel like that would just take away from this amazing recipe.
Well, I have a few words about the recipe. This one came from a friend who I converted to the Paleo lifestyle. It’s a family “recipe” that we Paleoized (that is the technical term, isn’t it?) and now perfected. Family recipes with no existing measurements: what a fantastic challenge, especially while trying to make a Paleo version at the same time. Great job Pam! Thank you so much! She likes to point out that it can never be the same as her mom’s since her spice blend is home made. But this version is damn good, and you’ll only know if you have them side by side. So enjoy. Cause this one’s gonna knock your socks off!
- 2-3 lbs (family pack) boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- 1½ large onions (chopped)
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 1 Tbsp fresh garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp ginger powder or 1 Tbsp fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 heaping tsp turmeric
- 1 heaping tsp paprika
- ¾ tsp cayenne powder
- 370 ml tomato paste
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1 heaping tsp garam masala
- ½ cup sliced almond
- ½ cup cilantro
- Melt ghee in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add salt and onions. Cook until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add in garlic, ginger, turmeric, paprika and cayenne. Mix in and cook until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste and mix thoroughly with spices (getting all of the spices stuck to the bottom of the pan).
- Add chicken and stir well.
- Once cooked, stir in coconut milk and garam masala. Cook until coconut is heated through.
***If you have leftovers, you can use them for tomorrow’s recipe.