Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best. Especially when you are hungry, and pressed for time. I adore fiddleheads, they are in the fern family; little baby ferns. But they can be expensive and hard to find. Feel free to substitute another vegetable, or double the beets!
- 8-10 beets (save tops to use for salads or in place of Swiss chard, or sauté!)
- 8-10 fiddleheads, washed and husks or brown spots removed
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- ⅓ cup water
- Place beets and half the water in a pan over medium heat, bring to a simmer, cover and let steam 7 or 8 minutes.
- Drop 1 tbsp. butter into pan and cover again for just 1 minute.
- Stir in fiddleheads and the remaining water, cover and let steam 5 or 6 min.
- Drop the remaining butter in and cover again for 2 or 3 min.
- Stir to coat veggies with butter and serve.