Simple and fast! Can your own tomatoes with only 3 ingredients!
- Turn on Holley’s canning jams (the free Spotify streaming music playlist we made just for canning).
- I take the skins off the tomatoes, you don’t have to, but when you use them in sauces the skins tend to “ball up”: Bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil. Cut a small “X” in the bottom of the roma and then blanch the tomatoes. The skin will slide right off.
- Sterilize your lids and rings, and bring your canning pot to a gentle boil.
- You can dice, or crush, or put them in whole.
- Lay the tomatoes in the jars until there is 1/2 inch headspace.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt for every pint (1 tsp for a quart).
- Add 1 Tbsp lemon juice for every pint (2 Tbsp for a quart).
- Make sure the rim is clean, add hot lids and rings and process (immerse and boil in water) for 40 minutes (45 for quarts). Make sure to adjust for your elevation, processing time will vary depending.
- Let sit and cool for 24 hours. Any lids that do not seal, refrigerate and use first.
- The number of jars you will have will depend on the size of tomatoes, and the jars, and of course how you squish them in there. 4-5 whole medium romas in a pint, 6-8 in a quart.
- Category: Preserves
- Method: Canning