- 2 duck breasts or 3 cups chopped cooked duck meat
- 4 cups of chopped vegetables. I used:
- 1 1/2 leek stalks
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 medium celery stalks
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 4 Tbsp duck fat (or ghee or olive oil)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups duck broth (or chicken or vegetable broth)
- fresh sage
- fresh rosemary
- 3 Tbsp cassava flour
Duck – if using 2 raw breasts:
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Salt and pepper both sides of duck breasts.
- In a cold cast iron pan, put skin-side down and bring heat up to med-high. Allow fat to render and skin to get crispy before flipping.
- Brown meat side, flip again, and transfer to the oven for 6-8 min.
- Remove duck from hot pan and allow to rest (as you would a steak).
- Set aside for later.
- Combine all crust ingredients in a mixing bowl with a spoon, then use your hands. The dough ball will be slightly wetter and softer than wheat dough.
- Dust a sheet of parchment paper with potato starch. Center the dough, cover with plastic wrap, and roll into the size and shape to easily cover your baking dish (8″ square cake pan or 9″ pie pan).
- Refrigerate for about half an hour to firm up (this will make it easier to handle later).
- In a saucepan, bring orange juice, broth, rosemary, and sage to a boil.
- Allow to boil until rosemary and sage are fragrant.
- Fish out herbs and dispose of them.
- Whisk in cassava flour. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes to thicken.
- Set oven to 375 F.
- Sauté leeks, carrots, celery, and onion in a large skillet with a couple of tablespoons of duck fat for 10-12 minute until soft.
- Chop duck meat into small pieces.
- Pour vegetables and duck meat into 8″ square cake pan or 9″ pie pan.
- Add gravy mixture to pan and mix everything together. Add salt to taste.
- Pull crust from fridge. With plastic wrap-side down, peel off parchment paper.
- Gently flip crust on top of duck/vegetable mixture, and tuck any extra crust (or cut away) as needed.
- Cut a small hole from the center of the crust (to vent).
- Brush top with whisked egg.
- Bake for 30-40 min (until crust is golden).
- Remove from heat, allow to cool for 15-20 min (which will also allow the filling to thicken).
- Method: Oven