A classic, but this one isn’t filled with sugar and food coloring!
- 5 lbs tomatoes skinned
- 1.5 cup onion diced
- 4 Bay leaves
- paprika (I used 2 tbsp but it is always easier to start with less and add to YOUR taste)
- cayenne (I used 2 tbsp but it is always easier to start with less and add to YOUR taste)
- 2 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 3 tsp pink peppercorns
- 3 allspice berries
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- Blanch tomatoes and skin.
- Add tomatoes to a large pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add onions, apple cider vinegar, and all spices.
- Continue to simmer, stirring often.
- Simmer and reduce approx 45 min.
- Remove cinnamon sticks, and blend (immersion blender works great) or strain (press the pulp through a fine sieve removing seeds and large chunks of spices).
- Return to a pot, add salt and honey and simmer again, stirring regularly until desired thickness is reached.
- Spoon into sterilized jars and water bath can 20 min. (Possibly longer depending on your elevation, please check the HFP)
- Category: Condiments