Green Curry Broccoli Soup brings some exciting flavor to a classic vegetable soup. This is a smooth creamy broccoli soup. (Continue to second recipe for chunky soup)
- 1–2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (crushed/diced)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- (optional) green chili peppers – if you like it hot. I used 4 (diced)
- (optional) 3 kaffir lime leaves (pull out the big middle stem then finely mince the leaves)
- (optional) 8-10 inches of lemongrass
- 1 L chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp green curry paste
- 2 medium heads of broccoli (chopped – include stems)
- (optional) 3-4 tsp fish sauce
- 2–3 tsp lemon juice to taste
- 1 can (400ml) coconut milk
- salt to taste
- (optional) dollop of coconut whip cream (looks pretty and adds extra creaminess)
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute onions, garlic, and salt in coconut oil. Stir occasionally until onions are translucent.
- Add chicken broth and curry paste, stiring until paste is dispersed. Add broccoli (include chili peppers, kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass if using), increase temperature to high until boiling, then reduce to simmer for about 20 minutes (broccoli stems should be soft).
- Allow to cool a bit, remove lemongrass, then use immersion blender to cream ingredients. (If no immersion blender, use blender – but allow to cool a bit more if you’re using a blender – Safety first!)
- Stir in coconut milk, lemon juice, and fish sauce (taste test here and ensure the flavors are balanced, including salt).
- Now it’s your choice: stay with this Creamy Green Curry Broccoli Soup, or add some more bulk with bonus vegetables (see recipe below for second option).
- Optional: add in a dollop of coconut whip cream once served in bowl (it looks pretty and adds some extra creaminess).