Grilled Zucchini with Rhubarb Glaze is such an easy way to add another dimension to zucchini. Sure, grilled zucchini with a little garlic and S&P is amazing as it is, but the added sweet freshness will be a pleasant surprise for your taste buds.
I've been thinking about integrating fruit into more recipes, as I probably do every summer when surrounded by fresh local produce. The idea of a rhubarb glaze has been bouncing around in my head for a while as well. It could be used for all kinds of stuff. Cocktails, salad dressing, grilled meats (rhubarb is great on chicken – in fact, we have 2 BBQ sauces: Curry Rhubarb BBQ Sauce and Rhubarb Habanero BBQ Sauce), drizzle over ice cream, pancakes, waffles, or your partner. I know, I know: I said the same thing about the Creamy Curry Fenugreek Sauce.
I read some recipes that used a rhubarb glaze on cheesecake. Yessssssss!
What is your favorite use for rhubarb? Growing up, what did you have with rhubarb? There are two things that come to mind: rhubarb sauce and, the best thing ever: lunar rhubarb cake. I'm drooling just thinking about it. It's a rhubarb cake that is sprinkled with brown sugar before it was baked. The result was a crater-like surface once it's cooked. Is this something that other people have experienced? It is a Canadian thing, I think from the 80s. I need to paleo-ize this some day.
Grilled Zucchini with Rhubarb Glaze obviously doesn't have the sugar of the lunar rhubarb cake. In fact, it's pretty friggin' healthy. Enjoy!Print
- 1 cup rhubarb
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp arrowroot
- 2 medium-large zucchini
- Bring rhubarb, water, lemon juice, and honey to a boil for 5-8 min, so that rhubarb is tender.
- Use a strainer to separate the liquid. Add more water to the solids and strain again if needed to get 1/4 cup liquid.
- Mix arrowroot well with cooled liquid, heat until it starts to bubble, then remove from heat.
- Cut zucchini into lengthwise 1/4″-thick strips, brush with oil, lightly salt, and grill both sides on BBQ.
- Brush rhubarb glaze over grilled zucchini. Enjoy!
Save strained portion to eat as rhubarb sauce – with cheese and or raisins. I mixed mine with a couple other sauces to make a BBQ sauce for chicken.
- Category: Vegetable
- Method: BBQ
Keywords: grilled zucchini, rhubarb glaze