These How-To instructions will give you the basis for making your own fermented water kefir, and the freedom to create your own flavors in the future.
- quart jar or larger
- nylon strainer
- chopstick or wooden spoon
- silicone funnel
- swing top bottles, small or large
- Place water kefir grains in a glass jar, add sugar (or dried fruit) and water, and using the spoon or chopstick stir until sugar has dissolved. You can add a pinch of sea salt here if you need more minerals in your water.
- Place mesh strainer over top of the jar and place in a warm spot. You could alternately use cheesecloth, but make sure the kefir can breathe. 24-48 hours depending on how sweet and how carbonated you want your beverage (less sweet and more carbonated the longer you go).
- Strain the liquid off the grains and set aside. Prepare a new sugar water mixture to keep the grains alive (and for your next batch).
- Add 1/4 cup of fruit or juice to the strained off the liquid, and give it a stir (and/or herbs and/or …).
- Pour into swing top bottles, filling 3/4 full leaving space in the bottle, and seal them up.
- Leave on a counter 12-24 hours- this is the second ferment.
- Make sure to “burp” your ferments daily, and then pop into the fridge.
Share your adventurous combinations with us!
Burping your water kefir is important (watch the video to learn why).
- Category: Drink
- Method: Fermentation