Instant Pot Moroccan Pork Roast with Tangy Coconut Yogurt is an easy and flavorful meal!
- 3.5 lbs pork picnic roast
- 4 garlic cloves (skinned and halved length-wise)
- about 1/2 the Moroccan spice rub mix from above (~1/4 cup)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 lemon
- st step is to look at that beautiful piece of meat and picture what it’s gonna look like when we’re done (you can cheat by looking at the photos above).
- Now let’s cut off the skin and about half of the layer of fat (I’m assuming that you chose a pork picnic roast too). You want some of that fat for cooking. Flavor, moisture, and whatnot.
- Using a small knife, poke some holes in the roast – 8 holes to be precise – and stuff the garlic slivers into them. You can do more if you love garlic like I do.
- Remember the Moroccan Spice Mix from above? You’re going to rub about 1/4 cup of it all over the roast with your hands. These spices can stain your hands, so if that’s an issue use a plastic glove. The other thing to keep in mind is that some of the spices are going to fall off while applying them and get everywhere, so do this over a large bowl or cutting board or something (I don’t like cleaning up, so I like to reduce the chaos as I go).
- Using the trivet (the metal grate thing) in the bottom of the Instant Pot, add water (which shouldn’t reach the top of the trivet) and then place the roast inside the pressure cooker.
- Secure lid, press “Manual” and then using the “+” button set the timer to 90 minutes. After you double-check that the steam release valve is in the “Sealing” position, take a load-off. Maybe pour yourself a drink. You’ve earned it.
- If you want to crisp up the outside of the roast a bit when it’s done in the IP (do an instant pressure release if you’re in a hurry), preheat the oven to 450F, transfer the pork to a roasting pan, and cook for about 15-20 minutes (this is what I did).
- Allow meat to rest at least 10 minutes before slicing it up.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and serve with Tangy Coconut Yogurt Sauce.
- Not IP instructions in notes.
Don’t have an Instant Pot? WHAT? Learn about them here and buy one (with coupon code) here!
OK, OK, no reason to punish you for not having one. Here’s how you can cook this roast (I actually haven’t done this, so times are based on internet research so keep an eye on your meat thermometer):
-Once spices have been massaged onto the roast put into a roasting pan, pierce with a meat thermometer, and cook in 275 F preheated oven for about 3 hours.
-Meat thermometer should read between 145 – 160 F (145 F is the American recommendation, whereas 160 F is the Health Canada’s suggested temperature). Allow meat to rest at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- Cook Time: 90-120 min (3 hours if oven without Instant Pot)
- Method: Instant Pot or oven
- Cuisine: Moroccan