- 4–6.5 kg (9–15 lbs) turkey (you may be able to get a few more lbs into the 6 Qt Instant Pot, but you’d be pushing it. The 8 Qt however…) ***Get your butcher to break down your turkey to safe you a ton of time and effort. Even better if they’ll remove the bones from the breasts!
- 1–1.5 cups mix of chicken/Turkey Broth and/or liquid from canned mushrooms
- 2–4 springs of each fresh rosemary, thyme, and sage
- 2–3 Tbsp Ghee/butter or even better, Maitre D’Hotel Butter
- salt to taste
- If your butcher deboned the breasts, you’ve got time for extra drinks. If not, remove the bones using a sharp knife and following as close to the bones as possible. You can feel where they are with your hands. **We will only be using the breasts, thighs, and legs in this recipe (use the rest in the Instant Pot Turkey Bone Broth recipe. If you roast the rest of the pieces now, you can use these drippings in your gravy as well).
- With the trivet in the pot, pour in broth/mushroom liquid.
- Massage the breasts (turkey breasts, you perv!), thighs, and legs with 1.5-2 Tbsp ghee or butter. Salt well.
- Arrange the turkey in the Instant Pot with as much space between them as possible to allow faster cooking, and insert the herbs amongst them.
- If your turkey is around 4 kg (9 lbs) set the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker to Manual High setting for 20 minutes. 6.5 kg (15 lbs) will need closer to 25 minutes. I used 23 minutes for a 5.5 kg (12 lb) turkey.
- Natural pressure release (NPR) over 10 minutes.
- Turn on oven broiler on High.
- Place turkey pieces skin-side up in a baking dish. Coat top with remaining butter/ghee/Maitre D’ Butter.
- Broil until skin is crispy and golden brown (under 5 minutes). DO NOT forget about it! Burning it now would be tragic!
- Carve and serve. And, whoa! How much easier is carving this than dealing with the whole bird?!
This is the gravy that we made:
Put the drippings from any pans (if you roasted the carcass for soup, use that juice) and the liquid from the Instant Pot in a pot or sauce pan. Add mushrooms from can. Add a sprig of rosemary, sage, and thyme. Simmer for a few minutes.
Mix some tapioca or arrowroot powder with ¼ cup cold water. Whisk into drippings to thicken. Continue to simmer and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: holiday