- 1–2 large onion(s)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1–2 Tbsp vinegar (I tried balsamic and apple cider vinegar, and both were fantastic)
- Slice onion in ¼ inch width or smaller, then chop into 2-inch lengths.
- In a saucepan combine coconut oil and onion.
- Cook on the lowest setting, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft. I had mine covered and cooked for 4-5 hours until they were soft and caramelized – dark and sweet (like me! Haha). I could have cooked them even longer to let the onion soften even more, but they were nice and sweet and I wanted them to maintain a little structure.
- Add vinegar and continue to cook until vinegar is soaked up.
- Serve with crackers or over meat, hot or cold.
***There are other methods that are faster at higher temperatures, but because I wanted the onions to break down and caramelize on their own this is the method I chose. Let me know what you think.
- Category: Condiment