This hamburger patty mix is simple, allowing for the meat and herb flavors to be the star of the show!
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil (minced)
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano (minced)
- 1.5–2 tsp salt (I lean towards 2 tsp)
- 1–2 tsp pepper (my personal preference is closer to 1 tsp)
- 6 lettuce cups (this video demonstrates the easy way of separating lettuce leaves)
- Mix all hamburger patty ingredients together by hand in a large bowl.
- Divide meat equally into 6 portions (1/3 lb patties) and form each into a thin patty (1/4-1/3″ thick) either in your hands or by putting each between two sheets of parchment paper and pressing flat with a frying pan or the like.
- To cook, preheat BBQ or cast iron pan (while camping I used cast iron pans over the fire); gently place burger patty on cooking surface for 2-3 minutes on medium-high heat – DO NOT play with your meat: allow the first side to sear before flipping, turning, etc. This will allow the burger to release from the grill/pan without sticking and falling apart. Watch the video. The only one that fell apart was one that accidentally got caught between the grill when I flipped it.
- Flip and finish cooking on second side. With a minute or two left, place cheese slice on patties to melt.
- Build your burger the way you like.
- Take a photo, post it to Instagram, and tag us @theprimaldesire ’cause we wanna see these bad boys!
- Use whatever herbs you want
- If using dried herbs, use a total of 2 tsp dried (vs. 2 Tbsp fresh)
- These measurements do not need to be exact. For example, if your grocery store/butcher has a ground pork/beef premix, go with it.
- Remove meat from the refrigerator 1/2 hour in advance of cooking.
- If camping: form patties, put in a large zip-lock bag separated by parchment paper, and freeze prior to leaving. This will help keep everything in your cooler cold especially if you’re lacking room for ice in your cooler!
- Prep Time: 7-10 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Category: BBQ
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: BBQ
- Serving Size: 1/3 lb patty
Keywords: summer grilling, camping recipes, keto hamburger, campfire cooking