Ultimate umami marinade recipe yo! And yeah, there is cacao in there!
I doubled this recipe to marinate a 20 lb leg of pork.
- 100 ml mamajuana or spiced rum
- 1 Tbsp cacao
- 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ancho paste or this substitute combination
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp coconut aminos
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour mixture over meat (or vegetables) in a large bag ziplock. Remove as much air from the bag as you can, and seal. Allow to marinate in the fridge for 1-2 days.
- Cook as needed with the marinade. Add enough water to make it more watery than pasty (less chance of burning on the bottom of the pan, plus it’ll add moisture to the meat).
- Lastly, once finished cooking, pour marinade and drippings into a pot. I put the pot into the freezer for 5-10 minutes to have the oil on top solidify, then scooped it off. Cook the remaining liquid down over medium, reducing it to a desired sauce consistency. Serve with meat (or veg. Or eggs. Or whatever).
- Category: Marinade
- Method: Grill, Oven