I've found that this Mandarin Pecan Spinach Salad is lovely to share with loved ones. Speaking of loved ones, I just got back from an amazing extended weekend in Vancouver. It wasn't my normal Vancouver trip, filled with eating out and shopping, etc. This trip was more about reconnecting with friends that I haven't spent time with in a while. I feel so refreshed after all the intense conversations about life and personal experiences (including passed relationships and life-changing travels).
I even met with a friend-of-a-friend who is a life coach (something I had looked into becoming a few years ago). He helped me to become more focused instead of being lost in my ever-growing to-do lists, among other things. He told me about the intensive training that he went through last year (there are varying types of training for life coaches, but his sounded amazing). Seems like a life coach can be an amazing resource for making life changes.
There aren't many friends that I keep in touch with from elementary school, but I was able to spend an evening with one of my oldest friends. Although he was very gracious in accommodating my paleo needs, he and his partner kept tempting me with an amazing chocolate cake (you may have seen the photo of this sexy cake on Twitter or Instagram), but don't worry: I was strong. I'm still committed to the 30-Day Paleo Challenge.
It didn't matter what the activities this weekend, the conversations with beloved friends (including an ex and her husband) were fun and meaningful, and full of support (in the paleo challenge- but more importantly life in general). Thank you to everyone who touched me this week (including the stranger at the gas station who genuinely wished me a a great day – I don't know what it was about that interaction, but his positive energy was palpable).
This feel-good Mandarin Pecan Spinach Salad takes only minutes to make (peeling the mandarin slices takes the most time, but this step is well worth it) allowing for more time spent with loved ones, and is a fresh delicious addition to almost any meal. In fact, I made it 4 times last week to go with seafood, chicken, steak, and Pecan Encrusted Salmon.
- spinach (how do you measure spinach for a salad? Use as much as you need and adjust the amount of dressing as to the amount you'd normally use – I like a lot of dressing, so it won't go as far for me. I use about 1/3 cup dressing for 4 large servings of salad – assume that's the size of this recipe)
- 2 mandarin oranges (skin each slice)
- 1/4–1/2 cup pecan halves
- 2.5 Tbsp oil (olive or avocado)
- 2.5 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- zest of 1/4 lemon
- Vigorously shake dressing ingredients or use small blender to emulsify.
- Mix solid ingredients, add desired amount of dressing, and toss everything together in a large bowl.
I woke up thinking how garlic prawns would be awesome in this salad too!
- Category: Salad