Morel Mushroom Salad with Bacon is bursting with crisp salad crunch and rich umami flavor. Tastes gourmet, but is so simple!
- 2 cups warm salted water (not needed if using fresh morel mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup dried morels
- 3 sliced of bacon chopped
- 2 stalks of kale (massaged because it needs romance) chopped
- 1.2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 2 cups mixed greens, or whatever you like, if you want all butter lettuce I won’t judge you.
- 1 cup of other veggies you want to or like to eat (we used avocado and sunflower sprouts)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place dried morels in the salted warm water to rehydrate them. (around 20 minutes should be good). If you are using fresh morels you can skip this step, but I would still let them sit in salted water to remove any slugs, bugs, and ash, so they aren’t gritty. Drain well and I chopped them.
- Over medium heat start cooking the bacon.
- Once the bacon starts releasing some grease, at about halfway, add the garlic, onions, morels, and kale.
- Sautee until cooked.
- Lay your bed of greens and veggies out and add the cooked mixture over top.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper (if you do that)
Morel mushrooms MUST be cooked, you cannot eat them raw. Eating raw morels may make you sick, and they don’t taste as good. MAny mushrooms have a toxicity to humans until they are cooked.
I found that the sauteed bit on top of this salad gave it enough flavor that I didn’t need dressing, but feel free to add some if you feel you need it! Maybe our paleo ranch?
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: salad
Keywords: morel mushroom, bacon, salad