Tangy with a hint of heat, this rhubarb habanero paleo BBQ sauce is great on ribs, or wings, or from a spoon out of the jar!
- 3 1/2 cups rhubarb
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 habanero
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 2/3 cups diced tomatoes and liquid
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pink peppercorns
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- Combine: rhubarb, garlic, habanero and olive oil in an oven safe dish and roast at 350 F for 35 min or until the rhubarb is soft.
- Add roasted mixture to a heavy bottom pan, add diced tomatoes.
- Add maple syrup water and apple cider vinegar, using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. (you can also use a food processor, then pour blended mixture into a saucepan).
- Bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add spices: dry mustard, paprika, cinnamon, peppercorns, salt, and coconut aminos.
- Simmer for 40 min or until the consistancy is slightly thicker.
- Place in a lidded jar in the fridge, it won’t last long enough to spoil!!
- Category: Sauce
- Cuisine: BBQ