I love breakfast. Love it. I know that you can replace “breakfast” with “food”, or “sushi”, or “Thai food”, and really most food-related descriptors, but a savory breakfast at any time of day is really something special. So it's high-time I made a Paleo Breakfast Sausage!
A friend of mine is trying an elimination diet for a bit to see what foods are affecting her in what way by gradually adding certain things back after 3-4 weeks without ingredients that are potentially causing problems. Unfortunately one of those ingredients is eggs. How does one survive on the Paleo diet without eggs?? Or any diet for that matter? I know it can be done, but seriously, have you seen my omelettes? So I decided I needed to find something delicious for her to fall back on for the next while.
For years I've been meaning to come up with a recipe that is reminiscent of a certain fast food chain's breakfast sausage. You know: a healthy version with all the taste and without the health problems. Why didn't I make these sooner?!
I figure there are a few ways to store these safely. I put 3 lbs flattened in a large freezer bag then put a couple folds into it so that I could just thaw out 1/4 when needed. My friend rolled them into serving-sized balls and put that in the freezer. And I cooked some, froze a few, and refrigerated a few days worth, for quick easy access.
I spent a lot of time on putting this recipe together, listing different ingredients that needed to be in there and a bunch that could be in there. I tried some other recipes that I found online, but in the end, it was the first combination that I tried that worked out the best hahaha. It's kinda neat when that happens (especially if you are able to write it all down, haha) – like it was meant to be. Really, I knew from the first bite but wanted to keep playing just to see what could happen. (Sorry Dad: it has sage in it. You'll just have to stick to the bacon.)
I guarantee you will see me using this Paleo Breakfast Sausage again in the future in other recipes, so master it now and get a batch mixed up and into the freezer. What is your favorite breakfast dish? Paleo or not, I wanna know.Print
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 tsp fresh sage (finely diced)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper (omit for *AIP)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme (dry)
- 1 Tbsp ghee or coconut oil (choose coconut oil for *AIP)
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients together with your hands in a large mixing bowl.
- Using about twice the size of a golf ball-worth of meat, form into a patty 1/2 inch thick.
- Melt ghee/coconut oil in a frying pan over medium to med-high heat.
- Cook as 3-4 patties at a time (whatever comfortably fits). Flip when golden brown.
- Remove from heat when the other side is golden brown.
- Repeat for remaining mix, or freeze the remainder. Or cook and refrigerate for next day.
*AIP – Autoimmune Protocol