Cherry salsa sweet and spicy; delicious Paleo Cherry Salsa
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 3 cups cherries (pitted and chopped) Don’t own a pitter?
- 3 small bell peppers (chopped) (assorted colors) (~1 cup)
- 1 medium red onion (diced) (~1 cup)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 small jalapeño -seeded if you don’t like it hot (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Canned Salsa Add
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 3 tbsp wine (I used white- it’s what I had open, but red would work too)
- 2 tbsp white vinegar (or use 5 tbsp sherry or wine vinegar and omit the wine)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 4 half pint jars, lids and rings
- Canning pot, or large pot with a rack inside (glass on pot on element= potential danger)
- Thick towel or wire rack for cooling
- Combine all ingredients, stir well and serve!
- Sterilize jars set aside, I also dip the lids and rings just to be sure all is clean and ready.
- Over medium heat pour the fresh salsa into a pot, add water, and bring to a simmer.
- Continue simmering, add lime juice, wine, vinegar and chia seeds, continue to simmer for 10 min or so, until it thickens a little.
- Spoon mixture into jars leaving about a 4th of an inch space at the top. Pack salsa down, trying to get as much air out as possible, using a spoon or a chopstick (another great use for chopsticks!).
- Place metal lid on and lightly tighten ring, so it holds it on, but still allows air to escape.
- In your large pot or canning pot bring the water to a boil, and keep it boiling, because we are hot packing jars the boil should be fairly consistent.
- Lower jars until they are immersed in water, set your timer and let them boil covered for 15 minutes. If you stop boiling for any reason, re-set your timer, a full 15 min in boiling water.
- Gently pull out of the water and let dry and cool on your rack or thick towel. At this point, you should start to hear the sweet pop of sealing jars.
Full disclosure: I am not a canning expert- really a beginner- so if I could make it work, you can too!
- Category: Salsa