Spicy and creamy this Mexican Paleo Chocolate Mole Sauce is great on chicken or pork or just as a dip!
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (pressed or crushed)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 poblano pepper seeded chopped (or bell pepper can be substituted here)
- 1 jalapeno seeded and chopped
- 1 habanero seeded and chopped
- 1/2 can chipotle peppers (~3 large)
- 1 orange (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 large white onion (or 1 whole small)(peeled and chopped)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 100 g 70% (or more) chocolate bar (or cocao chips)
- chili flakes for garnish
- orange zest for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- On a sheet lay out: tomatoes, garlic cloves, raisins, cashews, almonds, peppers, poblano, serrano, jalapeno, habanero, and chipotle, onion and orange.
- Drizzle olive oil overtop and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 60 minutes turning everything and spreading it out on the pan. You want a little char, but not burnt!
- Let cool slightly and blend (food processing doesn’t quite make the texture smooth and sauce-like).
- Add chicken stock (or veggie stock) and continue to blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add chocolate and stir until mixed.
- Garnish with chili flakes and orange zest, and serve with our fantastic Orange Chocolate Chili Wings!
Want a little less heat? Substitute or omit the hot peppers for milder varieties!
- Category: Sauce
- Cuisine: Mexican