Tart and Dilly, these are classic dill pickles with no added sugar.
- 5 lbs pickling cucumbers
- 8 cups water
- 2 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2/3 cup sea salt
- 6 sprigs of dill
- 6 small cayenne peppers (optional, the original recipe called for red pepper flakes, a pinch in each jar)
- 12 cloves of garlic peeled
- 6 jars, quart size with lids
- Take cucumbers, wash and put in an ice bath in the fridge overnight (Crisp cucumbers make crisp pickles- no one likes a soggy pickle).
- Wash and sterilize jars. Place 2 peeled cloves of garlic, one cayenne pepper (or a pinch of red pepper flakes) and a sprig of dill in each jar (if you like it spicy make a slice in the pepper).
- Combine water, vinegar, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Pack the pickles into the jars, careful not to bruise them but you want the jars full or you will run out of the brine.
- Once the brine has boiled and salt has dissolved, pour over packed jars, and lid right away.
- Place in large pot and immerse in boiling water and boil for 15 min.
- Remove and let cool on a thick towel. You will hear the lids pop as they seal. Any non-sealers need to be refrigerated and used right away.