- 1 onion (diced)
- 4 tomatoes (diced)
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can hot water
- 1 clove elephant garlic (diced)
- 1 lb ground meat, grass-fed beef, lamb or organ meat
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (diced)
- 1/4 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- cinnamon stick (broken)
- salt to taste
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cashew cheese
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Thinly slice eggplant into uniform thickness, sprinkle with salt and pepper and let sit for 10 min.
- Blot with paper towel, and lightly cover both sides with olive oil.
- Place on foil or parchment paper (or silicone pad) and bake 20 min.
- Set aside
- Brown the meat over medium/high heat.
- Add onions, garlic and tomatoes, continue to sauté.
- Add tomato paste, fill the can with hot water (helps get the rest of the paste out of the can, unless someone has a hack for getting the paste out? Please put it in the comments below), then pour 175ml of that water into mixture as well.
- Turn heat down to a simmer, add parsley, ginger, cloves, honey and cinnamon stick.
- Continue to simmer until ready to layer, removing cinnamon stick at the last minute.
Bechamel/ Custard Sauce
- In another pan heat 2/3 cup butter or ghee and stir until melted.
- Whisk in coconut flour, nutmeg and salt.
- Whisk in coconut milk, bring to a boil.
- Continue to simmer 4-6 min until it starts to thicken slightly, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, set aside.
- Once cooled (say in the time it takes to grease a casserole dish and layer in the eggplant and meat sauce) whisk in one egg and 2 egg yolks.
- Stir in cashew cheese.
- Grease a casserole dish and line the bottom with baked eggplant.
- Layer meat sauce evenly over top.
- Repeat eggplant and meat sauce making sure meat sauce is even and right to the edge on your top layer.
- Gently and slowly pour bechamel/custard sauce over the meat sauce
- Bake in a 375F Oven for 60 min, or until top is golden and set.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Cuisine: Greek