The flavours of thanksgiving in a colourful squash bowl, grain and dairy free!
- 1 carnival or acorn squash (or whatever squash you prefer)
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 2 allspice berries
- 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 diced onion
- 1 diced apple cored, but leave the peel on
- 1 lb turkey (ground or shredded)
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1 egg
- Wash and split the squash in half.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Scoop out seed and strings, you can roast the seeds, or throw them in a pot with other veggie ends for vegetable stock. Or not, up to you.
- Place squash skin side up in a shallow pan, (we used a pie plate) add 1/4 cup water and bake for 25 min while you prepare everything else.
- Sautee turkey lightly, adding onion and apple.
- Add rosemary, celery seed, thyme, allspice, poultry seasoning, and stir.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Pull the squash out of the oven and flip over, watch for steam, it’s hot!
- Add egg and cranberries to turkey mixture, stir well.
- Spoon mixture into the squash cavity and put back into the oven 20-25 min depending on how big your squash is.
Don’t have all those spices? Substitute extra poultry seasoning.
Making more and want to make the turkey go farther? Add grated zucchini, carrot, chopped celery or shredded cabbage! Also a great way to sneak in some veggies!
- Category: Thanksgiving