This reduction can be used to make a lot of dishes amazing. Drizzle it over coconut ice cream; add it to meats; enjoy it with fruit; you eat cheese? Yeah, it’s good with that too. And don’t forget to try it in salads!
- 1 bottle (500ml) balsamic vinegar
- 3 tsp cacao powder
- In a sauce pan on low-medium temperature gently simmer balsamic vinegar.
- Stir periodically as vinegar volume reduces and approaches a liquid-honey-like consistency (remember that it will continue to thicken as it cools so don’t overdo it – I speak from experience). The required time will vary greatly depending on the diameter of your pot, the vinegar you use, etc. but expect it to take somewhere around 1/2 hour.
- As the vinegar begins to thicken stir in cacao powder and continue to simmer until done.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a squeeze-bottle if you’ve got one (trust me, this will make your life so much easier in using it).
There are infinite flavor ideas available here. Add some chili powder. Drop the cacao and replace it with cinnamon sticks, maple syrup or honey, citrus rind, fresh rosemary, etc. The possibilities are truly endless.
The other way to do this is just buy some balsamic reduction and mix in cacao.
If you use a lower quality vinegar, you may need to add honey or maple syrup to sweeten it a touch.
- Category: Valentine's