A little paleo Mexican-inspired dish: no cheese necessary in these Portobello Mushroom Paleo Tacos.
My birthday was this past weekend. I’m old enough that many people my age lie about their number. I’ve been thinking a lot recently about the different paths people’s lives take. How different our experiences are. Even though most people my age are married with kids, have bought a house, and have set up or are on their way to building the American Dream, I’m ok with where I am right now. I am fine with my age; so that has nothing to do with my view on birthdays.
But I don’t put much stock into celebrating my birthday. Being a December-baby, it’s hard to get people together between Christmas parties and holiday trips. Having done 8 years of post-secondary education, I have spend a lot of birthdays in the heart of university final exam season. There’s nothing like spending your birthday studying until your eyes feel like someone has sandpapered them.
All I need is some good food with a friend or two, and a text message or phone call from those closest to me within a week of the day. I few people offered to organize a little to-do for me but I knew it interfered with their previous plans, so I told them “No! Don’t be ridiculous, we can just do dinner another night.”
So I ended up spending the majority of the day by myself, working on the site, getting a haircut, and went out for a great clam chowder before heading to a friend’s Christmas party. One of the highlights of the day: the voice-mail message that my nephews left me! Cutest thing ever.
You know what’s funny? When it comes to other people’s birthdays, I always push to have a big party. Funny.
My birthday present to you: Portobello Mushroom Paleo Tacos. If you’re primal, go ahead and throw some cheese on it, but just so you know, it doesn’t need it. I’m super jacked about this tasty easy recipe. I love Mexican style food. Enjoy!Print
Portobello Mushroom Paleo Taco
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 large onion (chopped)
- 0.7–1 lbs (0.3–0.4 kg) ground beef (or substitute turkey)
- 1/2–1 red chili pepper (diced)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp ghee
- 1.5–2 Tbsp paleo taco seasoning
- salt to taste
- fresh cilantro to taste
- 2 green onions (finely cut)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes (sliced)
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives (sliced)
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a large frying pan or medium pot, cook onions in ghee over medium heat until soft.
- Remove stems and spoon out mushroom insides. Dice finely and add to onions.
- Add ground beef and chili peppers. Once browned, add taco seasoning and salt (if needed).
- Bake mushrooms for 10 minutes top-down, then flip over and bake another 10 minutes.
- Spoon ground beef into mushrooms, followed by remaining ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Method: Oven
Happy belated birthday!
These sound amazingly good! And the pictures are fantastic! Such bright vibrant colors!
Thank you x3. I know it’s not very Christmasy (how dare I! What kind of recipe blogger am I?), haha. I shoulda done a Chinese recipe: it seems like lots of people do Chinese food for Christmas. What was that movie that they do that in?
I digress. Merry Christmas!