You know and love our original Paleo Butter Chicken: it’s easy, paleo-ized, and DAMN GOOD. Now make Instant Pot Butter Chicken FAST!
- 2–3 lbs (family pack) boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- 1 1/2 large onions (chopped)
- 2 1/2 – 3 1/3 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder or 2 Tbsp fresh garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp ginger powder or 2 Tbsp fresh ginger (grated)
- 2 heaping tsp turmeric
- 2 heaping tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups stewed or canned tomatoes and the liquid
- 370 ml tomato paste
- 2 400ml cans coconut milk (*NOT the coconut drink – see link* – Allow these to separate – DO NOT shake. Best if left in the fridge overnight)
- 2 heaping tsp garam masala
- 1/2 cup sliced almond
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- If your pressure cooker has a sauté setting (as does the Instant Pot), use it to melt ghee.
- Add 2 tsp salt and onions. Cook until onions are soft and translucent (you can cover with a lid to speed this process.
- Add in garlic, ginger, turmeric, paprika and cayenne. Mix in and cook until fragrant.
- Add canned tomatoes and the watery portion of coconut milk, mixing thoroughly with spices (getting all of the spices stuck to the bottom off the pan).
- Add chicken and stir well.
- Assuming you’ve selected to use bite-sized pieces of chicken, the time to cook the chicken will be fast: 8-10 minutes depending on the pressure your cooker uses. With the Instant Pot it took 8 minutes of pressurized cooking time on the Manual-High mode.
- Once cooked, use the quick release of pressure, stir in coconut cream, tomato paste, garam masala and most of the cilantro. Add more salt if needed.
- Top with sliced almonds and garnish with more cilantro.
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Indian