January is national soup month, this Primal French Onion Soup will warm you up and is gluten and grain free!
- 1/3 cup ghee or grass fed butter
- 8 cups sliced onions
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp apple juice
- 1 Tbsp cassava flour
- 6 cups vegetable or beef broth
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- 8–12 parmesan cheese crisps (I used these from Costco but I did see recipes to make your own! Cello-Whisps-Parmesan-Cheese-Crisps)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (Mozza or Monterey Jack, or whatever makes you happy)
- Melt butter or ghee over medium heat until it bubbles, or foams slightly.
- Add 1 tsp of the salt and the sliced onions, stir to coat the onions with butter or ghee, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp apple juice.
- Turn the heat up to medium/high and stir sauteeing or caramelizing the onions, careful not to burn, this will take 45 minutes for the onions to cook down and become golden, caramel in color.
- Add 1 tbsp cassava flour to make a roux, and 1 cup of broth, stirring to combine.
- Add rosemary, thyme, and bay leaf, remaining broth salt and pepper, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Add the wine (optional) and continue to simmer for 45-60 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf, scoop into oven-safe bowls or wide mouth jars.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Float parmesan crisp(s) on the top and sprinkle with cheese, place in the oven for 15 min or till the cheese is melted and golden.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of dried or fresh thyme.
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Soup
- Method: stove-top