A classic hollandaise sauce with a touch of earthy floral saffron to give the sauce a subtle spice. Great on eggs, seafood or gently steamed veggies.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp ghee or butter chilled
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of black pepper
- Separate yolks from whites, use the egg whites for an omelet or another great recipe.
- In a double boiler add water to the bottom pot, bring water to a boil and then reduce to medium heat.
- Whisk egg yolks with lemon juice and water, add salt and pepper.
- Put over the simmering water and add the 3 tbsp chilled ghee or butter and continue whisking, the mixture will start to thicken. 2 or 3 minutes is all you need.
- add saffron and serve over poached eggs or gently steamed veggies
You need to find the sweet spot for temperature. Too hot and you end up with scrambled eggs. Too cool and the mixture will not emulsify.
- Category: Sauce