Sweet Strawberries and mint make your mouth happy, and your gut too!
- quart jar or larger
- nylon strainer
- chopstick or wooden spoon
- silicone funnel
- swing top bottles, small or large
- 2–3 Tbsp kefir grains
- 1 quart of filtered water, we use a Clearly Filtered pitcher
- 1/4 cup sugar or a small palm full of unsulfured dried fruit
- pinch of sea salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup crushed strawberries (and juice)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- Place water kefir grains in a glass jar, add sugar (or dried fruit) and water and using the spoon or chopstick stir until sugar has dissolved. You can add a pinch of sea salt here if you need more minerals in your water.
- Place mesh strainer over top of the jar and place in a warm spot. You could alternately use cheesecloth, but make sure the kefir can breathe. 24-48 hours depending on how sweet and how carbonated you want your beverage (less sweet and more carbonated the longer you go).
- Strain the liquid off the grains and set aside for step 4. Prepare a new sugar water mixture and add the grains to keep them alive (and for your next batch).
- SECOND FERMENT:
Add the crushed strawberries and juice and the fresh mint without stems to the strained liquid, and stir well.
- Pour into swing top bottles, filling 3/4 full leaving space in the bottle, and seal them up.
- Leave on a counter 12-24 hours- this is the second ferment.
- Make sure to “burp” your ferments daily, and then pop into the fridge. Alternately, you can keep them in a lock top jar and strain into those swing top bottles before popping them in the fridge.
The best way to get the flavor without bitterness on fresh herbs is to spank it with your hand, give it a firm tap/slap with warm hands before throwing it into any dish, and try to avoid the stems as much as possible.
- Category: drink
- Method: ferment
Keywords: water kefir, strawberry mint,