Today's dish is a little outside the box (not unlike Raj and his banana recipes, I'm dying to try his banana carrots, maybe with some bacon!). Eating beef tongue is not for everyone, I myself had a couple moments where I wasn't sure I was going to be able to eat it. I am generally pretty adventurous, but this, well, it was clearly a tongue. Hard to swallow (hahah). These kind of food phobias are entirely in my head. Once seasoned and sautéed, it was delicious. And I got to say “Hey Raj, there is a tongue in my taco.” And he appropriately rolled his eyes at me. I love puns, corny jokes, plays on words. I am a big dork.
Once driving from Edmonton, Alberta to Katy, Texas, (a few years ago with my ex) I literally waited all day, anticipating when we would be through Kansas so I could say “we're not in Kansas anymore!!” That was also met with some eye rolling, maybe even a groan. Hey, I think even a cheap laugh is still a laugh.
I was at work chatting with a local butcher telling him I was looking for exotic meats, or even parts of the animals that conventionally, in this wasteful western society, aren't eaten. Organ meat, wild game and the such. He brings in his sausage every once in a while for the girls (sounds dirty… I know, and he gets his double meanings in for sure; the guy is 60+ and I think relatively harmless). Well, he brought in a smoked beef tongue for me. My co-workers were thoroughly disgusted. I couldn't stop making “he slipped me the tongue” jokes. It was a hefty chunk of meat and I wanted to wag it at everyone which likely wasn't helping their squeamishness. (haha tongue wagging, I love this blog post). Before I scare you off with more corny puns, Smoked Tongue Taco Salad! Go talk to your local butcher they: should be able to hook you up with beef tongue.
Taco salad with tongue! A slightly spicy delicious way to eat beef tongue.
- 1 onion diced
- 3 mushrooms diced
- 2 tbsp ghee (or olive oil)
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced smoked tongue
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp chipotle
- Lettuce one head torn up
- Tomato diced
- Avocado sliced
- Jalapeño's sliced (we used pickled)
- Fresh salsa (optional)
- Remove outside skin from beef tounge, and thinly slice.
- Over medium heat saute onions, mushrooms and zucchini with ghee (or olive oil) 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic powder, cayenne, chipotle and stir.
- Add smoked beef tongue, reduce heat, and stir.
- While the tongue is warming:
- Shred some leaf lettuce into a bowl.
- Add diced Tomato, avocado and jalapeno.
- Spoon sauteed veggies, spices and tongue over salad.
- Top with fresh salsa (optional)
- Category: Salad