Trying to cut down on meat? Are you vegan? Cooking for a vegetarian? Or are you just trying to get someone to eat more vegetables? Vegan “Butter Chicken” Cauliflower Wings are the answer!
As you may or may not know, Holley and I are in India ATM. I know right!?
We have not been eating gluten-free, as there are so many flat breads to be experienced (roti, puri, chapati, etc.). At the beginning, Holley was avoiding most wheat due to her mystery rash, but after a few days here, it's cleared up and she's been ok with all the food.
We have mostly been eating vegetarian meals, since that's how most locals eat due to religious reasons.
We just spent a few days with our friend Pam's family in North India and they made us eat sooo much! I'm still full!
I'm looking forward to returning to my normal eating habits, but let me tell you: I am loving all the Indian foods and spices!
We wanted to share a couple of Indian-inspired recipes while we are gone, and how could you not go wild for these Vegan “Butter Chicken” Cauliflower Wings? Exactly.
Haven't tried out Vegan “Butter Chicken” yet? Go give that a look too.
- 1 head cauliflower (cut/broken into bite-sized ‘wings')
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil (or other oil of preference)
- salt to taste
Vegan Butter Chicken Sauce
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 1 Tbsp fresh garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp ginger powder or 1 Tbsp fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 heaping tsp turmeric
- 1 heaping tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp cayenne powder
- 370 ml tomato paste
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1 heaping tsp garam masala
- 1/8–1/4 cup sliced almond
- 1/8–1/4 cup cilantro
‘Butter Chicken' Sauce
- Melt ghee in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add salt and onions. Cook until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add in garlic, ginger, turmeric, paprika, and cayenne. Mix in and cook until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste and coconut milk. Mix thoroughly with spices (getting all of the spices that maybe stuck to the bottom of the pan).
- Stir in garam masala. Cook until coconut is heated through.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl, toss cauliflower pieces in oil, then sprinkle with salt and continue tossling.
- Spread cauliflower wings out on a cookie sheet, turning so that any flat pieces are down against the sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip cauliflower wings and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Transfer wings to a large bowl and thoroughly coat with Vegan Butter Chicken Sauce (about 2-2.5 cups should be good for a med-large head of cauliflower).
- Return to cookie sheet and bake for another 7 minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken and encapsulate the cauliflower wings.
- Sprinkle with sliced almonds and cilantro.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 32 min
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Vegan "Butter Chicken" Cauliflower Wings