Our Keto Campfire BBQ Burger has been a long time coming. This keto hamburger is simple and drool-worthy, and the smell alone will keep you coming back to this recipe!
It is summer grilling season, my friends, and we all need a go-to homemade burger patty recipe, amiright? Look no further: we've got you covered.
And if you're camping – Is there anything more primal than cooking over a fire in nature?
Camping. What a great way to connect with nature, unplug, and slow down – 'cause COVID hasn't slowed us down enough, haha.
I've been wanting to do more camping for the past few years, but making the time seemed difficult for some reason. But this year I've made it more of a priority (since international travel is off the table ATM).
It's helped that Holley and another friend have been game to join me this summer too. We are SOOOOOO blessed to live in such a beautiful part of the world!
I know that camping somehow ends up being a free pass for eating crap and drinking a lot of booze, but I wanted to share a healthier option with this campfire BBQ burger that is fully paleo, gluten-free, and keto.
Keto Campfire BBQ Burger
This burger is based on a recipe our QB Gelato friends were shown at a local lesson.
The basil and oregano came out of our roof-top garden. Feel free to play with different herbs, such as rosemary, dill, fenugreek leaves, and sage.
I could eat these patties all summer and not get bored of them. Wish I had some ready to eat right now!
You can cook these on the campfire using cast iron pans, over a grill, on the BBQ, or on a stove-top. Perfect for camping or at-home.
You know what would be amazing with this campfire BBQ burger? Saucy Watermelon Stacks!
Need some more BBQ ideas? Check out our Best Summer Grilling Recipes!
What does your summer look like this year and how has COVID changed it for you?Print
This hamburger patty mix is simple, allowing for the meat and herb flavors to be the star of the show!
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil (minced)
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano (minced)
- 1.5–2 tsp salt (I lean towards 2 tsp)
- 1–2 tsp pepper (my personal preference is closer to 1 tsp)
- 6 lettuce cups (this video demonstrates the easy way of separating lettuce leaves)
- Mix all hamburger patty ingredients together by hand in a large bowl.
- Divide meat equally into 6 portions (1/3 lb patties) and form each into a thin patty (1/4-1/3″ thick) either in your hands or by putting each between two sheets of parchment paper and pressing flat with a frying pan or the like.
- To cook, preheat BBQ or cast iron pan (while camping I used cast iron pans over the fire); gently place burger patty on cooking surface for 2-3 minutes on medium-high heat – DO NOT play with your meat: allow the first side to sear before flipping, turning, etc. This will allow the burger to release from the grill/pan without sticking and falling apart. Watch the video. The only one that fell apart was one that accidentally got caught between the grill when I flipped it.
- Flip and finish cooking on second side. With a minute or two left, place cheese slice on patties to melt.
- Build your burger the way you like.
- Take a photo, post it to Instagram, and tag us @theprimaldesire 'cause we wanna see these bad boys!
- Use whatever herbs you want
- If using dried herbs, use a total of 2 tsp dried (vs. 2 Tbsp fresh)
- These measurements do not need to be exact. For example, if your grocery store/butcher has a ground pork/beef premix, go with it.
- Remove meat from the refrigerator 1/2 hour in advance of cooking.
- If camping: form patties, put in a large zip-lock bag separated by parchment paper, and freeze prior to leaving. This will help keep everything in your cooler cold especially if you're lacking room for ice in your cooler!
- Prep Time: 7-10 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Category: BBQ
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: BBQ
- Serving Size: 1/3 lb patty
Keywords: summer grilling, camping recipes, keto hamburger, campfire cooking